3 flights and 25 hours later I'm back in the States. I feel like possum roadkill and I'm a bit overwhelmed with reverse culture shock, but I wanted to mention some things that I have noticed about being back in the US:
1. There is so much air pollution! Coming in for a landing in San Francisco I couldn't help but notice the gray-brown smog sitting over the Bay Area. New Zealand definitely doesn't have this problem. NZ skies are piercing blue and sparkling clean.
2. They drive on the other side of the road here! Every time we made a turn coming home from the airport, I got freaked out. I don't think I'll be getting behind the wheel anytime soon...
3. Speaking of driving...the roads here are wide and packed with huge, speeding cars, but no tailgaters. Yipeeee!
4. The hot and cold faucets are switched and water comes out of one spigot. I love this, especially when washing my face in the bathroom sink.
5. It's a bit cold out but my house is warm inside!
6. Hot water pressure actually exists.
7. I don't have to worry about how much Internet bandwidth I'm using. I can return to downloading podcasts to my heart's content!
8. There is no Tui song to begin my day.
9. There are lots of snakes, lizards, bugs and spiders. Ugh.
10. Clothes dryer = no more lint ball.
11. The land of plenty has become the land of too much. The consumerism is overwhelming!
12. I'm already missing all the things I said I would miss about New Zealand in an earlier post.
No comments:
Post a Comment