Gangrene? Check. Mouth Cancer? Check. Impotency? Check. These are only a few of the harmful side effects of smoking that are included as graphic warning labels on cigarette packs (like the one above) in New Zealand.
As of February 2008, the New Zealand government requires all cigarette packs sold in the country to include a picture in an effort to inform smokers about the risks of smoking and to discourage new smokers. Now, these graphic images (and I mean graphic) cover 90% of the back of the package and 30% of the front. The warnings appear in both English and Maori and a free phone number to the Quit Smoking hotline is advertised. Other countries that include graphic warnings on cigarette packs include Singapore, Australia, the UK, Canada and Brazil.
Sometimes I see empty packs on the ground and it's quite disturbing to view liver cancer so up close and personal. It's even more disturbing to see people still smoking, including the very pregnant 16 year old girl I saw the other day.....Brilliant.
No comments:
Post a Comment