Excerpts from This my first e-mail home, sent the day I arrived (very jet-lagged) on October 28, 2008
"Well, New Zealand is beautiful, of course!! Flying in was amazing: Green, green, green!!! And patches of fluffy white sheep (and snow). In fact, it's lambing season so there are lots of wee little ones running around, they are so cute, I want one for our backyard! Dunedin is a cute college town (just over 100,000 people) filled with little cafes, shops and markets. It's surrounded by hills and actually has the steepest street in the world. I can't wait to explore the Otago Peninsula and look for the penguins on the beach!
Yesterday (Monday) was Labor Day holiday and it was very warm so we walked around the Botanical Gardens. Since it's spring here, everything is in bloom and smells wonderful. It's strange, I feel like I am in a cross of England with all the organized fields, old brick buildings and Victorian architecture, and Hawaii with the tropical plants, fruit, and strange birds. The grocery store is filled with lots of different foods I can't wait to try!
Our house is so cute with AMAZING views of the ocean and harbor. Although, it's big and we don't have much furniture to fill it yet. We are up on a hill so we do get some wind, which can be biting cold when it blows from the south (meaning Antarctica). The weather changes so quickly here, you always have to be prepared for everything, sort of like SF, but with intense burning sun and snow thrown into the days mix. When the sun does shine, it's FIERCE! Not sure where the ozone went, but sunscreen is a must when you leave the house.
I am settling in nicely, getting a tax number (needed to work here) and bank account. I'll be looking for work soon as I am finishing up my thesis. I will also be driving our tiny 3 cylinder car soon so I need to get used to being on the left side of the road! I keep walking to the wrong side of the car to get in as a passenger. I have to remember to look right when crossing the road!"
No comments:
Post a Comment