We don't have a clothes dryer here. Electricity is very expensive in New Zealand so we try to save as much as possible on our energy bill. Which means we dry our laundry on the clothes line out in the backyard or on 2 large drying racks we keep in the living room. It's not uncommon to walk by a house and see knickers drying in the window. This works out great on warm, sunny days, but drying can take 3 days or more when it's cold and wet out. You also have to be careful on extremely sunny days: The sun is so intense that it doesn't take very long to sun-bleach colorful laundry.
I don't mind hanging clothes out to dry. I brought only cotton, wool, and linen clothes with me so drying is easy and I don't have to deal with dry cleaning. Although, I do miss the shrinking effects of the dryer's heat on my jeans and t-shirts. Some of my shirts are so stretched out from the washer's turbo spin cycle that sometimes I think they are my boyfriend's shirts.
And now I understand the vital importance of a lint screen. Without a dryer, all the lint clings to my clothing and I look like a walking ball of lint. Where does that stuff come from? No amount of sticky lint rollers or tape can combat the army of lint that accumulates on my clothes. Oh well, we save energy without a dryer and that means I can run the heat pump in the cold winter months.....at least I'll be a warm lint ball!
No comments:
Post a Comment