This is the edited version of a Homesick Rant moment from December 12 2008:
So Im a bit homesick and need to rant about NZ a bit...
I'm homesick! But it's strange, it's not just home I miss, more like American culture in general, which scares me a bit....Oh well, I guess that's just part of living in another country and getting used to the different ways things are done here. When your in a new place, everything different about it gets on your nerves if there is nothing good to balance it out (ie: things I like about it). For me it's the driving. Kiwis are the most aggressive drivers ever! They tailgate so bad ALL THE TIME. Not sure where that laid back kiwi attitude goes when they get on the road. Honestly, when I drive I turn our rear view mirror down so I can't see behind me (our car is so small it doesn't really matter anyway). There's no point, I know that there is someone behind me.
But there are lots of things in NZ that have been surprises actually. It's very beautiful, but our location looks a lot like Northern CA. Everyone raves about the natural beauty but we don't find it all that exciting or particularly special yet. I do like all the flowers and weird birds though! And of course, the weather! I knew that my boyfriend had a freezing winter but I figured summer would be somewhat decent. Summers in Dunedin=RAIN! Booooo. I live in wool sweaters and we are heading into Summer.....I can't imagine what Winter will be like, maybe I'll just hibernate or spin a cocoon!
I've come to realize something very fundamental about myself: I need culture in my life, I should have known.....art, architecture, music, opera, food, nightlife....there is really nothing of the sort here in Dunedin so I have nothing to balance out the nature. I like nature and outdoorsy things, but people come to the South Island really only for outdoor adventures, most of which I'm not really interested in. Although I do want to go river-rafting and glow-worm caving. And maybe zorbing (you know, the plastic hamster ball thing?)....but I really don't want to go for 5 day tramps in the rain. Ick!
I really want to learn more about Maori and South Pacific culture but unfortunately few Maori live this far south. Most live on the North Island...maybe the weather has something to do with it. I guess for now I'll just have to drink all the new wines I'm discovering.
No comments:
Post a Comment