Thursday, January 22, 2009

President Obamer

President Bar-ack O-bam-er. That's how our new President's name sounds with the Kiwi accent.

I really wanted to be back in the States yesterday, even if only to listen to NPR. The election of Barak Obama as the leader of our country is, of course, historic. As an insider watching from the outside, I couldn’t help but feel nostalgic for America and have a cheesy proud-to-be-an-American moment. Reading the newspapers, looking at photos online, and listening to President Obama’s speech gave me goosebumps and teary eyes.

It's quite ironic, actually. When GW first took office 8 year ago, like many other people, I wanted to move out of the country. 4 years later I swore that I would move to New Zealand if Bush was re-elected…Well, here I am, in New Zealand, just in time for a new President. Go figure.

Here is an article from the New York Times about the inauguration response abroad:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/21/world/europe/21reax.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp

No comments:

Post a Comment