Thursday, January 22, 2009

Long Blacks & Flat Whites

No, this isn't a racial thing, I'm ordering coffee! If you thought Starbucks was confusing, try getting a regular coffee in New Zealand. I first encountered this system in Australia a few years ago, but it didn't matter since I wasn't much of a coffee drinker then. Now, I like to have a nice cuppa' every now a then (and the coffee here is really good), but the menu needs decoding first. I did a little research and here's what I found:

Espresso: a 30 ml shot of black coffee produced from 7 grams of ground beans

Long Black: 2 shots of espresso added to twice as much hot water

Flat White: 1/3 espresso (2 shots) and 2/3 steamed milk

Cappuccino: 1/3 espresso (2 shots), 1/3 steamed milk, 1/3 foam

Latte: 1/3 espresso (2 shots), 2/3 steamed milk, a little foam

Macchiato:
2 shots of espresso, 5 ml milk on top, a bit of foam

Mochaccino: 2 shots of espresso, 1 teaspoon drinking chocolate, steamed milk

Right now I'm drinking cappuccino (thanks to my trip to Italy last summer) but I mix it up with a Latte or Hot Chocolate-with a chocolate fish of course (see Adventures in Food:Part 1)!

No comments:

Post a Comment